Monday 10 March 2014

Twitter-the overkill of genius


I have been on twitter for a while now. Longer than I have been on Facebook anyway. At first, it was simply about getting to stalk my favorite celebrities in a legit way. John Mayer, to be precise. Imagine my chagrin when he just upped and quit! No reason, no warning whatsoever!

Funnily enough, I stayed on. I'm not sure why. Still. By then, I was probably beginning to see the allure this social site had for so many millions. Anything and anyone that mattered had a twitter account. The White House included. And Bill Gates. And Oprah Winfrey. And Ellen Degeneres. It became for me a preferred kind of news feed. Nothing of importance escaped the clutches of twitter trends. World news, celebrity gossip, scandals. Its was all there. I noticed how the paparazzi use twitter to spread  their claims and celebrities use it to refute the same. There are Yoda bots, an Ayn Rand bot and whatnot bot. If you wanted to be on top of things, twitter seemed an easy answer.

But somewhere in all of this noise of 'world', 'celebrity' and 'global', the mavericks began to appear on my timeline. Not often, just popping up every now and then. Following the thread of one such hippie led to so many others that soon I seemed to have no time for the world-leaders and the smart bots. It felt a lot like discovering independent cinema after years of mainstream hollywood. Turmoil, confusion, pain, rage, mistrust, broken trust. Or sometimes just a nagging headache. There seemed to be nothing that could not be articulated perfectly in 140 words.

Today, I've struck a balance. Hollywood does after all have way of gaining your attention again. And I have realised that too much on any side of the bridge is death. Twitter is a platform for getting the world to take notice of you all at once. It is the best tool at your disposal to create an impact. It is also the hugest cesspool of talent and originality. There is some respite to be had from anonymity after all. We can be as mad as we really are and more. So c'mon, let's pit my crazy against your crazy and see who comes up with the best tweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment